Monday, November 15, 2010

A Week in Gillette Wyoming

I'm spending the week in the clean coal capital, speaking in schools. Yesterday my hosts Sue and Cliff were kind enough to drive me out to the Black Hills to visit Devil's Tower (Sorry it's sideways. I'm the tiny red dot at the bottom.)

Here in northeast Wyoming it's rolling hills, sagebrush and cattle grazing land for as far as the eye can see, mile-long coal trains, pick up trucks, and lots of sky. Devil's Tower is massive. 1,280 feet high (The Empire State Building is 1,250). An extraordinary-looking monolith (figuring significantly in Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

The school kids are fun and funny. Some camoflage clothing, but lots of hoodies, torn jeans, and sneakers, too. Today the girls were telling me how they ride their horses up to the drive-thru window at McDonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment