Monday, February 13, 2012

RAVES ABOUT A CLASS SKYPE


Dear Todd,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to speak with our 8th grade students.  I cannot tell you how much they enjoyed themselves.  They were engaged and interested in the things you had to say (they found your story about reading in 4th grade particularly inspiring).

For the students to speak with an author who knows the ins-and-outs of writing, both as something pleasurable and as work, really gives them insight.  One of my students had to walk through the library to get lunch immediately following your Skype with us, and she stopped to give the librarian the list of book titles she took down when you shared them with us, exclaiming to the librarian, "We really need to get these.  They sound good, and we got to speak with the author.  I want to read them all!"  What a gift, inspiring thirteen- and fourteen-year-olds to want to read more for fun!

Our computer teacher who stopped by to set up the Skype for me remained for your entire discussion because she thought it was so wonderful.  And I have to say, I completely agree.

I cannot thank you enough for allowing the students a unique opportunity to ask questions, and to hear candid answers, not to mention my gratitude for your ability to garner enthusiasm for the writing process.

Sincerely, Emily Justesen


NOTE FROM TODD:  I've been doing these Skypes for no fee, and intend to continue. They usually last about 1/2 an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment