Monday, August 30, 2010

The Bible ... According to Common Sense Media

Of the many thousands of books reviewed by CSM, I guess it should come as no surprise that The Bible seems to have been overlooked. So I thought I'd provide some insight as to why.

Let's look at this line from the Book of Genesis:

"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived."

According to CSM's system of icons this line would undoubtedly earn one big #! for "more extreme swearing suggested by substitutions."

I could continue giving out numerous bombs for violence, lips for sex, #! for [suggested] language, and martini glasses for drinking, but it is not my intention antagonize anyone who happens to read this blog (unless they work for CSM). Rather I am simply trying to point out the absurdity of reducing literature to a system of icons based on random sentences taken out of context, and on the subjective interpretations of amateur reviewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment