Sunday, February 17, 2019

GRATEFUL DEAD OR CREAM?

       One afternoon in the spring of 1967 I stood in the record department of Korvettes with the Grateful Dead's first album in one hand and Fresh Cream in the other. I had about $3. Enough for one album only. Before me lay a weighty decision: British Power Rock Trio or San Francisco Sound? I probably stood there for twenty minutes, pondering the covers, absorbing the liner notes, trying to make a decision. Finally, I choose Cream. I went home and put it on my mono record player and loved it. But somewhere in the back of my mind, a nagging particle of doubt lingered. Weeks passed. Every time I listened to Cream, that tiny question reemerged. Should I have gotten the Dead album instead? Finally, no longer able to stand it, I went back to Korvettes and bought it. My life, for the moment, was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment